world cup 2026

I've seen my father through seven World Cups. How he watched it before heading to work, writing scores down on the brackets printed on newspapers, rewatching highlights on TV - it was just something I watched him do. 

And in 2026, it was the first time I decided to experience this with him. It's also the first time since I've moved out. I guess it's one of the ways to connect with him. 

Before World Cup I started chatting with him. Asked him who he supports? And started getting curious about why goalkeepers aren't getting recognised etc. And found out he used to play football (I only knew he played basketball !!) and he often played as the goalkeeper cause nobody else wanted to be. Never knew all these, until I started stepping into his world. I even bought him jerseys and he's so happy!

Of 104 matches, I've watched about half of them, all with my father. Due to the time zone, it meant that the matches start as early as 12am, but mostly 3am or 5am. I'd walk / run or get a private hire over in the wee hours, mostly on weekends. But I also made the effort to join him on weekdays when there were teams that he liked. I just wanted to watch and support his teams together with him. Some days I'd head over with work stuffs and head straight to work after watching the matches. Sleepy, but I never regretted. I enjoyed all the time watching with my father, as we get agitated over the same thing, cheer for the same team, sulk at the losses (cries in Egyptian).

I learned a lot about the sport. Mostly I learned about Premier League, especially Liverpool. It was easy to identify the countries my father supported - if there was a Liverpool player, he'd point it out to me. 

"Columbia - oh there's a little man that runs really fast" (Luiz Dias)
"Egypt! The Pharaohs. And my favourite Egyptian. He just left Liverpool." (Mo Salah)
"There was a prediction that Netherlands will win. Im excited" (van Dijk)

But also many other good players that played in Premier League. He's excited when he managed to recognise them (he doesn't know their English names, so he tells by faces). 

As I watched with him i kind of understand why he like football. Or certain players. There are just some football players that make me admire their passion and dedication so much. [I'd say Jude Bellingham and before anyone comes at me for being shallow, ah yes he's extremely adorable, and what got me into it was how he clenched his fists to cheer/pump himself up. It tells me he's someone that would beat himself up if he didn't perform well, and that he'd try his best. And he did.]

My father's favourite team, if not obvious, it's England. Old man likes Harry Kane and Quansah, and Rice. I told him I will like England too, for Jude. He laughs. But he's grown fond of Jude too seeing how he gave his all on the pitch.

The routine of my World Cup visits is simple: my father would set up the safari bed / chair for me. I'd watch, fall asleep between matches, and he'd bring his blanket out for me, while he naps on the sofa. He prepares disposable toothbrushes for me, and gets me hot tea (usually before the 9am match). It takes place weekly for about 5 weeks, and can I say, they have been my favourite weekends thus far. I haven't looked forward to something for a long time and I really, really appreciate this World Cup.

Did I enjoy the sport my way? I did ! There were so many footballers that caught my eye, the way they play. So brilliant. There are:
- Jude Bellingham
- Djed spence (broooooooo, the way he SHONE in the match against Argentina)
- declan rice (beautiful kicks as he roll up his shorts)
- ferran torres (he just keeps trying)
- unai simon (the game against France!)
- olise (ok he really caught my eye during the match w England dude was SO FUNNY)
- lamine yamal (absolutely menance for waiting for his opponent to get up before dribbling past him)
- cucurella (how he haunted every opponent)

One of my core memories from this wasnt a match we watched together, but the one where England played against Mexico, and when Jude Bellingham scored twice within two minutes my father called me. I didnt pick up cause I was in a meeting, but it warmed my heart knowing he wanted to tell me how amazing jude bellingham was. 

And alas, the journey has come to an end. My father didn't get to see World Cup come home, but i hope he enjoyed every match this time round, because it was paid (and therefore live and no delay) and that there was someone else cheering and making noise next to him. 

I hope this memory is as important to him as it is to me.

I bought a sofa for home, one that he can lie down comfortably when watching TV. I've also decided to sign Premier League pass for him.

And ive decided I'll continue watching football with him whenever I can. Premier league, here I come.

Comments

Popular Posts